The Committee on Earth Observation Satellites (CEOS) Working Group on Calibration and Validation (WGCV), SAR Subgroup, Synthetic Aperture Radar Workshop 2023 (CEOS SAR WGCV 2023) will be held from Monday October 16th to Wednesday October 18th 2023 at DLR in Oberpfaffenhofen – just west of Munich, Germany.
The Workshop's objective is to provide an open forum for the presentation and discussion of current and future issues related to the calibration and validation of space borne SAR sensors and data products.
Right after the CEOS Workshop, the 2023 TerraSAR-X / TanDEM-X Science Team Meeting will be held from Wednesday October 18th to Friday October 20th 2023 at the same venue. It is planned to held one common session on SAR Missions on the morning, October 18th, 2023 together.
- Important Dates
- Call for Papers
- Abstract Submission
- Conference Schedule
- Venue Location
- VISA Requirements
- Accessing DLR
- Presentation Preparation Guidelines
- Suggested Accommodation
- Conference Program
- Social Events
- Organizing Committee
- Technical Program Committee
|Abstract Submission Open||May 15, 2023|
|Deadline for abstract submissions:||(extended to) July 29, 2023|
|Notification of presentation acceptance:||September 10, 2023|
|Deadline for workshop registration:||September 15, 2023|
|Deadline for presentation upload:||October 15, 2023|
|CEOS SAR WGCV Workshop:||October 16 – 18, 2023|
Contributions will be welcome on the topics below:
- Calibration of running missions
- Calibration of future missions
- Calibration methodology and techniques
- Calibration/validation targets and sites
- Calibration requirements and definitions
- Innovative SAR instrument concepts
- Processing algorithms
- InSAR and Calibration
- Polarimetry/Compact Polarimetry
- Calibration of multi-channel and DBF systems
- Analysis Ready Data
- Space-based and ground-based RFIs
- AI for Cal/Val and SAR System Monitoring
The Program of the Workshop will be published on this website and in EDAS once all accepted papers have been assigned to their respective sessions.
Abstract submission for CEOS 2023 has been closed. The paper decisions have been sent to the authors on August 29th 2023. Authors can check the status of their paper and view potential reviewer comments in EDAS.
- Registration: 8:30
- Conference: 9:15-18:00
- Ice Breaker: after 18:00
- Conference: 8:30-17:00
- Social Event
- Bus transfer: 17:00
- Return: 21:30
- Joint Session with TerraSAR-X Science Meeting: 9:00-15:15
- DLR campus tour: 15:30-17:30
A sightseeing tour of Munich is planned for Sunday evening, 15th October (departure time to be announced later).
The detailed conference program will be available soon.
German Aerospace Center (DLR) Oberpfaffenhofen, Muenchener Strasse 20, 82344 Wessling, Germany
Visa requirements to enter Germany vary greatly between nationalities and it is therefore essential to check visa requirements before travelling. Visas must be obtained prior to arrival in the country and it is the responsibility of each participant to obtain the required entry visa to Germany. Please note that a Schengen visa is required, even for transiting through Schengen-zone European countries.
Please find information on Visa requirements and applications at: Federal Republic of Germany – Federal Foreign Office (auswaertiges-amt.de)
All registered workshop participants will be announced at the DLR entrance to the conference. Please have your ID card or passport ready.
Detailed information on how to get to DLR, access, and other useful information can be found here.
There is no registration fee. Please register online at https://edas.info/ for the workshop at your earliest convenience but no later than September 15th 2023:
- Login to your EDAS account or create a new one if you do not yet have one
- Select “Register” and type “CEOS SAR 2023” into the search field
- Click on the button below “Register self” in the “CEOS SAR 2023” line
- Answer all registration questions and finalize your registration. You should receive a confirmation email after finishing the whole process
After registration you might be contacted by the organization team and asked to provide further information for ensuring your access to DLR premises during the workshop. In case you need a dedicated letter of invitation please contact us as soon as possible.
When compiling your presentation, please consider any potential reviewer comments. Presentations can be in either .pdf or .pptx format in any 16:9 aspect ratio. Presentation time is 12 minutes plus 3 minutes for discussion. Please upload your presentations to EDAS before to the workshop (no later than October 15th ). The conference system will check during upload to ensure that the format complies to what can be displayed at the conference.
The city of Munich and the surrounding offers many hotel, apartments, and accommodations of various prices and quality. We assembled a few hotels with are well connected to DLR by public transport.
- Courtyard Oberpfaffenhofen Munich South (https://www.marriott.com/de/hotels/mucms-courtyard-oberpfaffenhofen-munich-south/overview) is located in the industrial zone right next to DLR premises
- Seehof Wessling (https://sopherlamsee.de/en) located at a picturesque small lake in a village about 15 min walk from DLR.
- Hotel Amper Germering (https://www.hotel-amper.de/en/) is three metro stations away from DLR in the next larger city with more restaurants and bars
- Coffee-Fellow Hotel Freiham (https://coffee-fellows.com/en/hotel) is located at the city border of Munich with good connections to both DLR and Munich Center
If you have special needs you can directly contact us via CEOSSAR_2023@dlr.de.
The conference program can be found here.
We plan to organize a joint conference dinner at Andechs Monastery for the evening of Tuesday, October 17th. For those who arrive already on the weekend prior to the workshop, we plan to offer a tour through the old town of Munich late in the afternoon on Sunday, October 15th. Please indicate if you plan to join either event when answering the registration questions in EDAS.
- Bruce Chapman (NASA JPL)
- Dirk Geudtner (ESA)
- Patrick Klenk (DLR)
- Jens Reimann (DLR)
- Bruce Chapman, NASA-JPL
- Dirk Geudtner, ESA
- Patrick Klenk, DLR
- Jens Reimann, DLR
- Keith Morrison, Reading University
- Manfred Zink, DLR
- Ron Caves, MDA
- Alberto Moreira, DLR
- Ridha Touzi, NRCan
- Ramon Torres, ESA
- Patricia Cifuentes Revenga, INTA
- Maria Jose Gonzalez Bonilla, INTA
- Muriel Pinheiro, ESA
- Medhavy Thankappan, GA
- Marc Thibeault, CONAE
- Wang Yu, AIRCAS
- Dan Williams, MDA
- Franz Meyer, UoA
Please email your questions to the Workshop secretariat at CEOSSAR_2023@dlr.de