To ensure high quality calibration and validation of infrared and visible optical data from Earth observation satellites and validation of higher level products
The objectives of the Infrared and Visible Optical Sensors subgroup, beyond those of the WGCV, are to:
- Promote international and national collaboration in the calibration and validation of all IVOS and, thus, to assist in the improved application of data from satellite sensors
- Address all sensors (ground based, airborne, and satellite) for which there is a direct link to the calibration and validation of satellite sensors
- Identify and agree on calibration and validation requirements and standard specifications for IVOS
- Identify test sites and encourage continuing observations and intercomparison of data from these sites
- Encourage the timely and unencumbered release of data relating to calibration and validation activities including details of pre-launch and in flight parameters
After a period of inactivity, the IVOS subgroup is revitalised, and improving, its membership. The subgroup plan to review the ongoing activities of CEOS member agencies and institutions. Opportunities for coordination / cooperation will be actively sought. Recommendations with respect to solar irradiance, radiative transfer codes, and protocols for calibration and validation will be devised and put forward. The subgroup will meet at least once each year.